To qualify for admission to BSI, an enrolling student must meet the following requirements:
- An interview and acceptance by the school.
- Student must be at least 16 years of age or older.
- Prospective students must have obtained a minimum of an eighth grade education or a GED certificate.
- Students may start school on any Tuesday, providing an open position is available.
- The Student Enrollment Agreement must be signed prior to starting date.
Upon graduation, application is made to the PA State Board of Barber Examiners to take the required certification exam. A theory and practical examination is given by the state. After successful completion of the examination, a student is licensed to practice in any registered barbershop or salon in the State of Pennsylvania. Advice is available if a student wishes to apply for licensing in other states.
Upgrade from Cosmetologist To Barber License
If a licensed cosmetologist wishes to become a licensed barber, he or she shall have successfully completed the 1,250 hour cosmetology training course or shall possess a current license as a cosmetologist. The cosmetologist will be given 555 hours of credit for subjects previously covered in the cosmetology training course towards the 1,250 hour barbering program. A cosmetologist will then need to complete 695 hours and pass both the theory and practical portions of the barber exam in order to become a licensed barber.
Barber Styling Institute will accept hours approved by the Pennsylvania State Barber Board for credit toward completion of the required 1,250 hours of instruction. A potential student interesting in transferring to B.S.I will need to take a placement exam prior to entry into the barbering program.